Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Discovery in Romania

Last week, I returned from an absolutely memorable and unforgettable trip to Romania. Romania is a beautiful European country. Therefore, I have had no energy to write or blog since I returned due to always having such a difficult time with jet lag. However, it was well worth the time and effort visiting the country in order to participate in the inaugural conference meetings of the Romanian Nutrition and Dietetics Association. That truly was an honor and privilege to take part in history. I am excited for all of the new Romanian dietitians who will be able to continue helping and guiding people to better health in their country.


One of the joys of traveling to a different country is to take part in their culture...and food!!!:) Soups are a very important part of Romanian meals. These soups are very healthy due to its richness in various vegetables. The dietetic students and dietitians have also told me that Romanian soups are not made with a lot of salt. That is truly amazing to me, because their soups are very flavorful. I was wondering what flavor I was enjoying eating a particular soup one day. I was told that the herb lovage is one of the herbs used in Romanian cuisines. There are medicinal benefits to this herb, but that is not what I am going to focus on here. I just want to focus on the fact that this herb definitely brings a wonderful and pleasantly unique flavoring to soups! 


One of the students in Romania actually gave me some lovage leaves and seeds to take home with me back here to the U.S.  However, when I got to the agriculture inspection in Portland, they told me they had to take the seeds away from me, but that I was allowed to take the leaves with me all the way to California. Taking the leaves with me made me happy. Anyway, lovage seeds can be ordered online. I will be doing that. I am happy to have access to lovage seeds. In addition, I hope you will try the lovage herb one day in your cooking, so that you will be able enjoy the delightful flavor it delivers.


******


Have you had the chance to visit any European countries this year? If so, which country was it and what food did you particularly enjoy from that country?

3 comments:

Jennifer Giurgila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Giurgila said...

Romania is my second home. I lived there for 3 years working in an orphanage and while I was there met my husband, who is Romanian, and got married. We've been back in the states for 3 years now but have been blessed with the chance to visit once a year. In fact, we are heading out in a little over 3 weeks for a 2 1/2 week visit. We are so excited!
I LOVE Romanian food, especially the soups! My husband has already prepared a "menu" and sent it to his mom via email with all of the Romanian foods that he wants her to make while we are there.
What part of the country were you in?

JeJe Noval, R.D. said...

Hi Jennifer,
Oh how sweet and neat that your husband already sent a "menu" to his mom!:) We definitely see eye to eye regarding Romanian food. Not only is Romanian delicious and wonderful, but so are the hearts of the people of Romania. So, you sure married well.:) We were in Bucharest for the first two days, and then the rest of the time we stayed in Targu Mures. However, we were also able to go out to the countryside and enjoy its beauty! I also loved visiting Viscri! Safe travels to you and your husband and enjoy your vacation to the fullest!:)

JeJe