Monday, January 16, 2012

PRODUCT REVIEW: Honey Stinger Chews

I walked into the bike shop one day where I was about to purchase my supply of GU Chomps for my week-end long run. As I was about to approach the shelves the Chomps are housed on, the owner of the store shouted out that I should try the Honey Stinger products. I hadn't heard of the Honey Stinger products, but I'm always eager to try new products. I left the store that day with Honey Stinger Chews than my usual GU Chomps.

The flavor of the Honey Stinger Chews are fine and pleasant just like what I'm use to. That part wasn't different. However, we have good news and bad news. Which news do you want first? The bad? Alright. Here it is. The Honey Stinger company recommends taking five to ten chews per hour. They're probably assuming you will use these for either long bike rides or long runs that last for a few hours. Five chews only provide 19.5 gm of carbohydrate, 80 calories, 40 mg of sodium, and 20 mg of potassium. These numbers will not do well for an endurance athlete per hour on just five chews. You need more nutrition than that. On we go to ten chews. Well, just double all of those numbers I listed. Yes, that does look better; however, who wants to bother with TEN CHEWS PER HOUR while running a full marathon or biking? Okay, yes, now time for the good news. Ten chews provides protein and fiber! GU Chomps and Powerbar Energy Blasts don't provide those at all. It would be nice if they did. However, the Honey Stinger provides only one gram of fiber and one gram of protein in ten chews. Nothing really to be excited about. GU Chomps and Powerbar Energy Blasts are still my choice of chews for running.

I wouldn't completely discount using Honey Stinger Chews. It has its place. In my humble opinion, these are more appropriate to use during shorter distance events.

******
Which is your preferred method for replenishing carbohydrates, sodium, and potassium during your endurance event?



No comments: