Thursday, April 19, 2012

Do You Know What a Haystack Is?

If you have grown up or lived in the Loma Linda area...or if you have grown up or hung out in the Christian community, specifically in the Adventist circles...you know there are two dishes that are absolute favorites!  One is the infamous Special K Loaf (or cottage cheese loaf) AND the other is Haystacks!!  Both are definitely delicious and depending on who makes it or puts it together, it can differ in its numerous, endless variations.

What I'm going to feature here is the easy-to-make, delicious, and nutritious haystacks.  I'm not even going to put the recipe here, because this can be made in whatever manner you like.  Haystacks are basically like a taco salad.  You need a good "base".  The "base" is usually corn chips or corn tortilla chips. I love using Fritos...and I was so happy to find low sodium Fritos that still retain is scrumptiousness.  Then the next layer can be any type of beans or veggie ground meat or the real deal if you'd like. I like to buy low sodium pinto beans, season it with McKay's beef like seasoning and a little garlic salt, chopped onions, and mash them all up while being heated. That only takes a few minutes and I have "refried beans" to put on my second layer of my haystacks.  Then chopped lettuce of any kind can serve as the third layer. After this layer, anything else goes. Then the rest of my favorite "toppings" are chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped olives, and shredded Mexican combo cheese. (Although, I did forget to add them when I took this picture, but it still tasted delicious!) The last layer of my "finishing touches" consisted of using this time a small dallop of Greek yogurt instead of sour cream like others use.  I also like using a little bit of El Torito's Cilantro Pepita dressing and salsa.

Having haystacks to serve to your family and friends will always satisfy everyone. It does not take long to prepare, but yet you're able to provide this tasty dish packed with a lot of nutrition.

******

Any good memories out there with haystacks growing up?

No comments: