Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Livening Up Your Dishes with Pickling Spice

Out of the blue, a friend mentioned pickling spice to me. I didn't want to admit I never heard of it, but was amazed he used it in his dish. I just automatically assumed, due to its name, that this particular spice was for...well...pickling. What else would it be for I thought? I went along with the flow of the conversation and Googled it later. Sure enough...that's what pickling spice is for!

However, pickling spice can definitely be used for cooking just like my friend did for his recipe. It can include at least mustard seed, bay leaves,  black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, and other spices and seeds. Pickling spice conjures up a delightful flavor that does very well in casseroles, soups, and other dishes. One thing I would do, as suggested by my friend, should you choose to use pickling spice is to grind it up before putting a dash of it here and there in your culinary creations.

If you haven't tried pickling spice in your recipes at home, give it a try today!

******
What has your pickling spice experience been like?

No comments: