Friday, January 4, 2013

Why Cook?

Cooking is just more than a means to an end. The end being able to eat something decent. Cooking is not just another chore. A chore which produces a product, which again is something decent to eat. If you look at cooking through those lenses of a means to an end or a chore, then that's what it is! However, if you view cooking through a different lens, then your outlook on cooking can be that.

Try looking at cooking as another technique to help you destress, unwind, and relax. You're thinking..."What????  That's ridiculous. Cooking to me is a pain!". Well, for those of us who do not have natural abilities to cook delicious dishes or have not gone to culinary school to become a chef might just dread cooking.

We don't have to have amazing skill to enjoy cooking. Entrees or side dishes can be made simply, but still be oozing with wonderful flavor. Even for those of us who are not culinary geniuses, preparing a simple dish can be relaxing. The act of chopping vegetables can be an opportunity to just let your mind go and enjoy the process. Stirring a pot of beans as it's boiling and adding seasonings can bring on a feeling of relaxation knowing that you will be enjoying something good in a few moments. The act of cooking is what you make it out to be.

I personally enjoy cooking myself. Of course, I have to admit the clean up part is not fun for me. However, I was not one to say I love cooking before! The more I learned to cook good for you, good tasting dishes, the more I became better at chopping veggies and everything else that needs to be chopped and the more the process of preparing meals has become enjoyable. I am human like everyone else though that can get tired from working so hard earlier on in the day, so I understand when cooking is the last thing on earth you want to do when you get home. But once I changed my viewpoint on cooking, it has made for a relaxing activity for me. Besides, when I cook I have control of putting healthy ingredients into my culinary creations and I get to save some dollars along the way by bringing lunches to work.

Again, preparing and cooking entrees and side dishes does not have to be fancy, contain a ton of ingredients, or contain a ton of steps to produce a delicious, healthy outcome. For me, the calming effects of cooking comes through the simple dishes. The satisfaction of knowing you have prepared healthy dishes for you and your family and a positive outlook on the cooking process will naturally have you cooking more in the future. Cheers to cooking more in 2013!   

******

What keeps you from cooking on a regular basis? 

No comments: