Monday, August 12, 2013

Gave That Homemade Energy Bar Recipe a Try!

Last week, I posted on my Facebook and Twitter accounts a link to the "Homemade Energy Bars" video by Runner's World Nutrition Editor, Joanna Golub. Well, I made the energy bars yesterday and it was delicious and satisfying! I wasn't the only one that thought that, but so did my running/biking/yoga buddy, Danelle, my Mom, and Tom all gave it a thumbs up. It is definitely a great "bar" for any pre or post workout/run/ride snack.

I used Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter since there is no added sugar. The only "sugar" which is added in this recipe is honey and for the amount it calls for in relation to the dry ingredients, it really is not that much. The editor said to bake in the oven for 15 minutes. I baked it for 25 minutes. I wanted somewhat of a crunch. Next time, I'll put it at a higher temperature like 375 degrees instead of 350 degrees and then maybe it might be okay for 15 or 20 minutes.

If you make this, I would highly suggest letting it completely cool off and even refrigerate before devouring. This way, it keeps together very well, especially after refrigerating. Otherwise, it will come apart if eaten too soon. 

You can find the video at this link. Click here.



This homemade bar is power packed with nutrients (high in protein for sure) with a satisfying flavor! One more thing, it is very, very easy to make. Enjoy!

******
Any homemade energy bar recipes you would like to share with us?



No comments: