Monday, August 19, 2013

The Almost Pizza

I am part of a women's small Bible study group. We rotate having our weekly study at each others' homes. In addition, to the leading the study, the host also provides dinner. Since we have been meeting faithfully for the past fifteen years, everyone has gotten over their bashfulness of preparing some type of meal for our study.

Last week, it was my turn to host.  I wanted to provide something easy, but delicious and nutritious. What came to my mind was mini pizzas. However, there are times...because I am a flexitarian.. that I want to provide an entree that is total vegetarian (some call it vegan, although not appropriate term since we still wear leather and silk and eat honey). So, I proceeded to dry run my mini pizzas using cheese substitute.

Well, I forgot to buy pizza sauce, so proceeded to make the "pizza" without any pizza sauce...hence the name "almost pizza". The result was not disappointing! I mixed just enough Vegennaise with Daiya cheddar style shreds. I spread the mixture across Rudi's whole wheat English muffins. Sprinkled some chopped tomatoes, green onions, and cashews on top (oh, and also chopped olives...just not pictured, because I ran out when I made them again.) I placed the topped English muffins on a cooking sheet in my oven for about 15 minutes or so or until shreds were melted at 415 degrees. And voila! You have a delicious, very low in saturated fat "almost pizza" that is very tasty. The combination of the Daiya shreds and Vegennaise is amazing! The only thing is that, this "entree" is not low in sodium, so mindful moderation should still be practice here. Not only will your kids loves these, but so will you!

I served the "almost pizzas" with a salad and soup and the gals were satisfied. So, just in case you're looking for an easy lunch or dinner idea for your family or friends, try the "almost pizzas".

Disclaimer: I was not paid by Daiya or Vegennaise companies to write about their products. All thoughts are mine and I regularly use their products, just because I like them.

******
What recipe have you developed that became your favorite after leaving it out an ingredient accidently?

No comments: