Monday, August 5, 2013

San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon 2013

I'm backtracking here. Going back to a couple months ago. It was an overcast day while the  weather was perfect with a slight humidity. Overall, it was a great day for a marathon!

I wasn't planning on doing a full marathon this year, but one of my students said she did a full marathon back during winter quarter. That talk planted a seed in my head. I went back to ask her how many miles she trained up to.  She said nine!  I thought...that's crazy, but oh well...she did it! However, it was two months before June 2 and I was beginning to feel like I was going to miss out on my tradition of doing San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon, besides if my student can do it with little training, I thought I could do too!. 

Although I didn't train as I normally do, I believe doing the cross training of power yoga, mountain biking, and running got me prepared to do this run. Because I didn't read up on the course ahead of time, I was greatly surprised that the entire course was backwards! It was more of a challenge, especially having to tackle highway 163 towards the end of the run. Oh well, it definitely made it more interesting needless to say.  Despite training less, I was very pleasantly surprised to PR.

In a previous post, I talked about going back to using gels this year. My saving grace on this run was the Accel Gel. Having that constant influx of protein every third mile stabilized my sugars well and I felt really good on this run.

This year, one of my students that just graduated completed her first full marathon with us.  My other friend, Danelle, who usually runs with me, completed another half marathon and also PR'd.

For San Diego Rock 'n Roll 2014, we've already started recruiting our other friends and my other students. We want this to become a growing tradition! It's a great event to be a part of, especially because the community of San Diego supports it so well with all their love!

******
What half of full marathons have you participated in this year?

No comments: