Monday, November 14, 2011

My Running Breakfast

It never ceases to amaze me when I go on a long run with friends that there is always one person in the group who doesn't take the time to eat a good breakfast. When I say eat a "good breakfast", of course, I don't mean eat like a king for this meal. I just mean that having a sensible pre-run breakfast or meal is essential for anyone, so that he or she can feel good doing their long runs. Unless, there might be one or two people out there who doesn't want to feel good when they run, then my apologies!

I will go on to share what I personally do to ensure that I enjoy my long runs.  Of course, I hydrate really well seven days a week. I set my alarm to sound off two hours before my scheduled morning run. This is when I drink two cups of water. During the night, none of us drink in our sleep; therefore, we all wake up in a state of being dehydrated. Starting off a run in a state of dehydration calls for trouble. This type of trouble can show up in the form of feeling lightheaded, nauseated, and possibly throwing up later on during the run. I usually go back to bed for a little bit after drinking the two cups of water and then wake up in time to have that "good breakfast". Again, not a huge breakfast. 

This particular breakfast works very well for me. I really end up feeling like I'm starting on the right foot and I feel good from the get go. I make sure I have a protein source and a carbohydrate source or two.  What works best for me is an egg sandwich with my favorite "pepperjack cheese", 23 almonds, and half of a banana. This combo makes me enjoy the run.  Having a good protein source does wonders to steadying blood sugars whether you have diabetes or not. Right before the starting the run, I'll of course take a few more sips of water. Then during the rest of the run, replenishing my hydration stores, carbohydrates, potassium, and sodium is a priority.

I'm not promoting that you eat the same exact breakfast for your long runs. What may work for me may not work for you and what may work for you may not work for me. I just want to encourage those who go for long runs or long bike rides early first thing in the morning to take the time to do what's needed for optimum enjoyment. It's best to come up with a breakfast combination that works well for you and your body just as long as there is a good protein source and a good carbohydrate source.  My breakfast for other days of the week are different. This is just my "special" long run or long bike ride meal. Fuel well and your body will thank you! 

******
Do you have a favorite route to do your long runs at?  If so, describe the scenery.

No comments: